Sweet Chili Garlic Wings Recipe
A few weeks ago I posted on my Instagram stories that I made sweet chili garlic wings. I asked if you guys wanted the recipe so here you go. I love trying new things to cook and I honestly was nervous about frying chicken wings. I’ve made chicken tenders from scratch before and it’s technically the same thing but in my head it was a bigger deal. I want to say before we get into the recipe and ingredients that I’m not a chef I’m just a home cook. I don’t have measured out ingredients, I just go with the flow of things. The other thing I want to mention is that I am Haitian and I was raised to clean, season and cook meat a certain way. Everything that I make will always have a Haitian influence to it and I’m proud that I am able to incorporate it in everything that I cook. With that being said let’s get started with the ingredients.Ingredients
- Green onions
- Garlic chili paste
- Magi(chicken bullion)
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Canned milk
- Chicken wings
- Make Apis(green seasoning)- I chopped up four green onions and peeled four cloves of garlic. I added that to a mortar and pestle with a spoonful for Magi and mashed it until it became a paste.
- Make buttermilk mixture- I did not have actual buttermilk but I used a can of milk and squeezed half of a lime to act as buttermilk. I added that to a pot because I didn’t have a big enough bowl. I added the apis to the pot. Then I added all of the seasonings which included the adobo, black pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin. Mix it all together to make sure it’s all incorporated.
- Clean the chicken- Use lime to clean/wash your chicken. Try to pull out any feathers that are still in the wing. And to make things easy when frying, cut the wings in half if you have a whole wing.
- Add wings to bowl- Make sure that the wings are submerged in the mixture. Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Make cornstarch mixture- Add cornstarch to a bowl. Use all the same seasonings that were used in the buttermilk mixture(adobo, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin) and make sure everything is mixed well together.
- Make sweet chili garlic sauce- In a small pot add honey, a spoonful of chili garlic paste and a little bit of cayenne pepper. Bring it to a boil then immediately turn the temperature to low.
- Fry the chicken- Take the chicken out of the fridge and one by one put it in the cornstarch mixture. Put them back in the buttermilk mixture and back again in the cornstarch mixture. After it has been in the cornstarch twice, carefully add it to the hot oil.
- Place on a wire rack- After it’s done cooking, place the chicken on a wire rack instead of paper towels so that the chicken stays crispy.
I’ve made this recipe twice and I think that the first time I made it was better. Let me explain why. The first time I made it I fried the whole wing together and because I wasn’t sure if it was cooked all the way I baked it under the oven. The second time I made it I cut the wings in half however when I cooked it I doubled fried it. So I fried it at a lower temperature, let it rest then fried it at a higher temperature. It made the chicken really crispy as in too crispy but it was still so good. I hope that you give it a try and let me know how yours turns out.