Orange Shrimp Recipe
I love cooking and finding new recipes to make. A while ago I watched a Youtuber named Remi Ashten make orange chicken but I decided to make it my own twist to it. I’m Haitian so I prepare meat differently than other people. We clean our meat with lime and we have seasoning called Apis that we use for the meat. I wanted to use shrimp instead of chicken to see if it would taste good and I was tired of using chicken.
- 4 Green Onions
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- Magi or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ginger
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 Cup White Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon(or more) Sriracha
- White Rice
- 1 1/2 Pound Shrimp
- Oil( whatever you prefer)
- 1 Lime
- 1 Egg
- Lowery’s Seasoned Salt( or your favorite seasoning)
- Corn Starch
- Bell Peppers( to garnish)
- Remove the shell from the shrimp. Then devein the shrimp. Use lime to clean the shrimp (the purpose is to get rid of the bacteria). When you’re done, set the shrimp aside either in a bowl or large ziplock bag.
- Start making the apis by first chopping the green onions. Add the garlic, Magi and green onions into a blender. I know most people won’t have a wood mortar/pilon( What it’s called in Creole) to mash it together.
- Pour the seasoning in the bowl/bag of shrimp. Add a pinch of season salt and black pepper. Then set it in the fridge for at least 30 mins( you can leave it longer if you like).
- Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl with a whisk. After it’s mixed together, pour it into a small pot on medium heat and let it simmer. Add a bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce. If you want, add bell peppers in.
- Make the white rice in a different pot.
- After the shrimp is done chilling add the egg into the mixture. Grab a plate to put cornstarch onto. Coat the shrimp in the cornstarch.
- Fry the shrimp in a pan with the oil. make sure it’s on medium heat. Cook until shrimp is golden brown on both sides. Set cooked shrimp on a plate with paper towels on it.
- You can either mix the shrimp and sauce together in a bowl or pour the sauce on top of your rice and shrimp.